Sunday, August 07, 2005

IS IT BETTER TO "BE AN ISLAND"? Never to let anyone see behind the "stranger's" face?

THE STRANGER...... (Billy Joel)

Well we all have a face,
That we hide away forever;
And we take them out and show ourselves,
When everyone has gone.
Some are satin, some are steel,
Some are silk and some are leather,
They're the faces of the stranger.....
But we love to try them on .
Well we all fall in love,
And we disregard the danger;
Though we share so many secrets,
There are some we never tell.
Why were you so surprised,
That you never saw the stranger?
Did you ever let your lover,
See the stranger in yourself?
Don't be afraid to try again,
Everyone goes south,
Every now and then;
You've done it, why can't someone else?
You should know by now,
You've been there yourself.

Once I used to believe,
I was such a great romancer,
then I came home to a woman
That I could not recognize
Though I pressed her for a reason,
She refused to even answer
It was then I felt the stranger
Kick me right between the eyes.
I may never understand
How the stranger is inspired,
But he isn't always evil,
And he is not always wrong.
Though you drown in good intentions,
You will never quench the fire
You'll give in to your desire
When the stranger comes along


We all put on a face to the world, (that's when we wear the "stranger's" face.) We have a private face, our true face; which no one ever sees; but then we fall in love, we let our guard down, and reveal our true face to that one person and sometimes that person needs to put on the "stranger's" face himself. Deep down, he is still the same person that you love, but sometimes he may seem out of character. If that is so, and you see the "stranger" in his face from time to time, "true love" will always offer a reason for strange behaviour. There are times when even a true, true love, occasionally acts like a "stranger".
Then again, sometimes you think you know the person's real self, and it turns out that he was actually the "stranger" all along..........
Even though that may happen, and many times does, we should not be afraid to try to love again, and trust someone again...........

I think that this song is an exploration of the secret self we all have, which we all hide from others... but eventually, this self will always reveal itself, and it will always have its way.
What do you think? This song really intrigues me and I wonder how others interpret it.

24 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A winter’s day
In a deep and dark december;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.
I’ve built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It’s laughter and it’s loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don’t talk of love,
But I’ve heard the words before;
It’s sleeping in my memory.
I won’t disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger CJ Srullowitz said...

Rabbi BZ Sobel of Neveh Zion used to give "The Billy Joel Sichah" based on this song. He saw it as a reference to our yetzer hara.

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Margaritagirrl said...

to ouschusid,
With all due respect to Simon & Garfunkel on the song you've posted, I totally disagree with it.
It's a pleasing melody, isn't it? And when you're down, when you've been wronged, it feels good to sing this, right? You build the wall around you, and you claim that it's better this way.
HEY- I don't need nobody! I have no need of friendship, laughter, loving or physical connection...I disdain all this - is what you say.
Of course friendship and love will sometimes cause pain. In life there is always pain - - should you not have been born? We all want to live, and with life comes the good and the bad.
Do you feel it's better to be an island?
If you touch no one and no one touches you, are you happier?
Is it not better to love, let someone into your island to share it with you?

2:55 AM

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Excellent post! Such powerful and true words.

Sometimes in the process of putting on our true face, we too can become a stranger to ourselves, or vice versa.

That is why I like to think about life as a series of uncovering, discovering and disgarding events.

 
At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy days are here again. Margaritagirrl is back.

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

normal jew in the spirit of the nine days go f

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

long time no blog.
i was intrigued by your title so i stopped by.
howevever when i see that the bs artist from c and the notnormal jew with their pandering dribble i am delighted that i dont blog
take care mg and have an easy fast

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

cynic,
It does seem as if you missed out on MG's post on kind words.

During this time of Tisha B'Av, as you fast I hope you think about all the judgements you have been making about people and whether they are within the true spirit and meaning of what it means to be a good Jew.

Personally, I resent your unkind remarks and conclusions about normaljew and myself and wonder what it is within your character that makes you keep coming back and being so unkind and mean to people no matter what they have to say.

I will pray for you.

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

resent all u want and pray for yourself.
the word truth and humility is not part of your lexicon.
enjoy your toshi bav with your hypocrisy

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Margaritagirrl said...

cynic said...
"long time no blog.
I was intrigued by your title so i stopped by.
Take care MG and have an easy fast.

GEEZ, CYNIC.......NICE TO SEE YOUR NAME ON THE BLOG. I MISSED ALL YOUR WITTY COMMENTS AND QUICK RETORTS TO THE OTHER BLOGGERS. CAN I PERSUADE YOU TO STAY? YOU DON'T HAVE TO INTERACT WITH ANYONE THAT TICKS YOU OFF, BUT I'D LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY ON EACH TOPIC I POST.
THIN IT OVER, hmmm....?
and have an easy fast also. Thanks for the good wishes.

 
At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry mg those two phoneys boil my blood.
doc told me to cool it,bye mg take care

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger SemGirl said...

ouschussid

Thanks for posting that.. I totally love S&G. Lil before my time but they are really really deep. And all their melodies are really awesome.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

semgirl
im glad you like s&g maybe you would love s&m

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Lessons We REALLY Should Be Taking From Billy Joel:

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just letting you guys know. There is a new blog opening soon, which will identify every guy / gal who blogs. I have seen a little preview. ITS SHOCKING. And i know some people who blog OH MY GOD its going to be fun STAY TUNED.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

LOL
I can't wait to be exposed.
I also can't wait to find out when Moshiach is coming.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

jsirpicco,

You are everything and anything but a psychic!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Margaritagirrl said...

Anonymous said...
Just letting you guys know. There is a new blog opening soon, which will identify every guy / gal who blogs. I have seen a little preview. ITS SHOCKING. And i know some people who blog OH MY GOD its going to be fun STAY TUNED.

FINALLY! I CAN GET CREDIT FOR MY GOOD WRITING SKILLS...........

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

Y M,
Will that be your 3rd blog?

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Margaritagirrl said...

Hoezentragerin ,

Good one! I wonder if it's true though, and what would they discover that is so shocking about us innocent little blogsters.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Margaritagirrl said...

TO OUSCHUSID,
I HAVE DECIDED THAT YOU ARE RIGHT AND I AM WRONG.....IN LIGHT OF RECENT EVENTS IN MY LIFE, I THINK THAT I WILL ADOPT YOUR MANTRA "I AM AN ISLAND" AND I WILL NEVER AGAIN TRUST ANYONE OR EXPOSE MY INNER SELF TO SOMEONE; ONLY TO GET HURT IN THE END.
YOUR WAY MAY BE VERY LONELY, BUT AT LEAST NOBODY WILL HURT YOU.

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Hoezentragerin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
» » »

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home